Friday, June 11, 2010

Treatment one

I can honestly say that Treatment number one was not that bad. Although I heard it gets worse the more treatments you get. I had a little orientation before the big stick. The nurse went over a all the side effects I would possible have. Which are the following:

-Nausea, happened already
-Loss of Hair (around day 14) 90 percent chance this will happen. I am still hoping for that 10 percent. Keep you finger crossed.
-Severe dry skin
-Sensitive to the Sun, although I can still go boating with sunscreen and a big hat.
-Brown Veins, (serious)
-Automatic Tan hoping for an all over tan not just blotches.
-Dry Mouth, if I have bad breath, PLEASE tell me.
-All foods and drinks will taste like rusty nails, this is already starting to happen.
-Sores on my mouth nose and lips. Do gross out if this happens to me.
-And of course, possible death... Whatever!!!

Like I said before these are POSSIBLE side effect

The type of chemotherapy I am currently on is called Fluoronracil, but the nurse and doctors and now myself like to call in the BIG 5FU emphasis on the FU whenever you want.
I had on option to stay in my own private room or go to the infusion room with all the other chemo patients. Of course I choose the infusion room. I never miss an opportunity to met new people. So I walked in and there sat two old women late 70's and one older man in his late 60's. And from what else I noticed all the was coming for the office was older people. But it's okay, because I have always loved old people.

I have a new BFF...Merdcedes! She totally ROCKS! In the beginning of my treatment, and hers, she was sitting in her "usual" chair at the other end of the room. Eventually, she moved down to my side of the room, where the PARTY was going on!
I found out that she actually lives around my neighborhood. We are instantly bonded! She told lots of funny stories that kept my sister and I entertained! Thanks to my bff, Mercedes, the treatment wasn't so bad. We giggled and laughed the whole time.

Mercedes was HONESTLY the only one in the "club" that was so happy to have Chemo...She was told that she wasn't a candidate for chemo, she has lung cancer and was told that she had 6 months to a year to live. For whatever reason, she was given the option to try chemo and she is so excited! Now I realize that Chemo isn't always such a bad thing.

My sister Melissa came down from Heber to help me through my first treatment. There is no way I could have handled this all by myself. Brett is a fabulous husband but, someones has to go to work to pay for all the Dr bills.

Later in the day, my other sister Mary and her family stopped by on their way back from Vegas. I was feeling so good. We had some errands to run, so we turned my day number one of chemo into a girls day out. We did a little shopping, We all agree, even Brett, that after every TREATment, I get to TREAT myself to a new outfit! After our shopping trip, I realized I had better take it a little slower. I was starting to get a headache and nausea! We headed for home.

When my sisters and I arrived home, Brighton, my 7 year old, saw me and asked, "Where were you?" I told him I was getting my medicine. He said, "Why do you still have hair?" This is coming from the little boy that can't wait to change my hairdo on my Mii on the Wii to bald! Oh goodness.


  1. I'm so glad Melissa could be there to help you party! Hope the side effects are minimal....I love your positive attitude and humor!

  2. Like always you make me laugh. I love how you have such a happy attitude. I hope it continues to go well for you. Love ya!

  3. Saw you Sunday and you looked good. I didn't realize you had already started treatment!

  4. Hey Sara, looks like you have nurse Sheila. She was RD's favorite at Lemon's office before she moved to Dr. Te's. BTW you are awesome and very inspiring. My prayers are with you everyday. =)